Four performance bands and one lab band:
- Literature from a variety of stylistic periods for large jazz ensemble will be rehearsed and performed. Students will gain experience in ensemble playing as well as improvisation.
- Open to all jazz band instruments (trumpet, trombone, alto/tenor/bari sax, bass, guitar, drum set; keyboard provided)
- Auditions during check-in on Saturday
- Performance on Thursday night (sorry, we cannot accommodate parental attendance for this performance).
Three classes, based on experience:
- Interested campers will be exposed to and gain experience in musical expression through improvisation. Students with little or no experience are encouraged to register for this course.
- Open to all wind and string players and pianists (keyboard provided)
- Percussionists may not enroll UNLESS they play a melodic/harmonic percussion instrument (vibraphone, marimba, etc.)
- Performances throughout the week
Jazz Piano Curriculum
- Jazz Pianists will have morning core classes structured to learn and advance jazz playing techniques for combos and big bands. You can choose electives in the afternoon to use the techniques learned in improv classes and jazz ensembles.