Guest artists are featured in special masterclasses. Here's a listing of some of the artists from past camps:
- Dave Eshelman, trombone - Emeritus Professor of Jazz Studies at California State University, East Bay. Under his direction each of Cal State’s big bands won many awards and accolades. He has conducted the California CMEA All State Jazz Band, and the Northern California Grammy In The Schools All Star Big Band. As a trombonist he has performed with many Bay Area jazz groups. He has been featured soloist with the big bands of Ray Brown, Joe Henderson, Tito Puente and Gerald Wilson. His CD release Mystique features John Abercrombie, guitar, John Patitucci, bass and drummer Peter Erskine. He has performed at Yoshi’s, California’s Major Festivals: Monterey, San Francisco, San Jose and at the Hollywood Bowl (with Joe Henderson).For more information on Dave Eshelman visit www.jazzgarden.com.
Andy, Stan and Scott Martin perform with Greg Sudmier on drums
- Andy Martin, trombone - A world-class jazz musician who has performed alongside other top jazz artists such as the late Carl Fontana, Pete Christlieb, Bobby Shew, and Eric Marienthal. Most notably, he has performed with Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band, the Bill Holman Big Band, and Tom Kubis’ band. He has also appeared in bands led by Jack Sheldon, Louis Bellson, Quincy Jones, Matt Cattingub and Bob Curnow, among others. Andy has long been one of L.A.’s first call trombonists for commercial recordings, television and motion pictures, and live theater. He has contributed on albums for many popular artists, including the Pussycat Dolls, Coldplay, and Michael Buble. His television credits include every major awards show: the Grammys, the Emmys, the Academy Awards, the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild Awards. He has also appeared regularly on the soundtracks of hit TV shows like “American Idol,” “Dancing With The Stars,” “Family Guy,” “American Dad,” “King of the Hill,” and the new series “Invasion.” Andy’s motion picture credits include the soundtracks of over 75 major films, including a recent project, with Grammy Award winning rap artist Kanye West, for the soundtrack of Mission Impossible III. He can be heard on the soundtracks of such movies as “Glory Road,” “Just Like Heaven,” “Rush Hour,” “Planet of the Apes,” animated hits like “Monsters, Inc.,” “Robots,” and “Cars,” as well as “Spiderman,” “Big Fat Liar,” “Enemy of the State,” “Armageddon,” “Patch Adams,” and “Romeo Must Die.” Andy is also first call trombonist at Hollywood’s Pantages Theater, where he has played for Broadway hits like Mel Brooks’ “The Producers,” Disney’s “The Lion King,” “Wicked,” “Hairspray,” etc.
- Scott Martin, saxophone - Professional musician who played with Pancho Sanchez, Tito Puente, Jazz on the Latin Side All Stars, Mongo Santamaria, Francisco Aguabella, Ray Charles, Fred Wesley, Pee Wee Ellis, Maceo Parker, James Moody, Barry Manilow, Dr Dre, Arturo Sandoval, Eddie Harris, Chick Corea, Karrin Allyson, Diane Reeves, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Larry Coryell, Booker T, Joe Sample, Wilton Felder, Wayne Henderson, Joey Defrancesco, Eddie Floyd, Sam Moore, Billy Preston, Eddie Palmieri, Ry Cooder, Andy Montañez
- Stan Martin, trumpet - Professional musician who resides in Los Angeles area and has toured with Paul Anka, Stanley Clarke, Tom Jones, Barry Manilow, Donna Summer and Pancho Sanchez to name a few. Recorded numerous CDs, movie soundtracks, T.V. credits, commercials and has played behind Johnny Mathis, Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, The Temptations, Billy Crystal, The Spinners and much more. Stan will be teaching and coaching many brass groups and conducting a jazz master class during camp.
- Mic Gillette, trumpet - Although Mic Gillette is best known for 30+ years of stellar horns work with Cold Blood, Tower of Power, and the Sons of Champlin, as well as Santana, The Rolling Stones, Quincy Jones, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Jefferson Starship, Huey Lewis and the News, and hundreds more. Mic also enjoyed brief stints with Blood, Sweat & Tears and The Fundamentals, an R&B/Motown band.
- Joseph Gold, violin - Professional violinist who has made five European tours as a performing artist.
- Curtis Kidwell, oboe - Professional oboist who has performed at nearly every prestigious music festivals in the country and throughout Europe, including: Aspen, Tanglewood, Taos, Marrowstone, and Bowdoin, where he served as teaching faculty. Mr. Kidwell was the winner of the Fischoff Chamber Music, Carmel Chamber Society, and Colmann Chamber Competitions. He is currently principal oboe for the Auburn Symphony, Napa Valley Symphony, Vallejo Symphony
- Greg Sudmeier, set drumming - Greg founded, music contracted, conducted, and has performed in the “Skywalker Symphony” at Skywalker Sound, Lucasfilm, Inc. He has recorded with John Williams, Linda Ronstadt, Aaron Neville, Randy Newman, Alan Silvestri, Lawrence Rosenthal, and recorded for many other film and album projects.
- Dr. Tom Tatton, viola - String Specialist with the Lincoln Unified School District, Stockton, CA. Past Director of Orchestras at the University of the Pacific and Whittier College. He is past violist with the Sierra String Quartet, the Sierra Chamber Players and the Pacific Chamber Players.
- Dale Wolford, saxophone - Professor of Saxophone at San José State University and University of California, Berkeley. Performer with the Premiere Saxophone Quartet, Wolford-Rosenblum Duo, San Francisco Symphony and San Francisco Ballet.
- Dann Zinn, saxophone - Professor of Saxophone and Jazz Studies at California State University East Bay.